The irksome cellphone industry is another article calling for antitrust regulation in the US. The author mentions that congress is investigating the industry and the quirky reasons to expect that there is something very anticompetitive going on. Like–
- text messaging fees suddently doubling–for all carriers at about the same time
- double billing–both the caller and the one called
- subsidizing phone costs with extravagant monthly fees
- expensive international calls–when Skype is free
- useless operator instructions to lengthen calling time
Simply compare the cost of using a cell phone in the US to anywhere else in the world. It is much more expensive and that alone is reason enough to investigate the industry and fine the companies appropriately.